Backdrop and Prop FAQs
Vinyl vs Paper Studio Backdrops
Are you are setting up a studio and want to know whether to purchase paper rolls or a vinyl backdrop? Or maybe you have a studio set up but find you go through lots of paper backdrops, is there a more permanent solution? Here is a comparison of between paper tools and our CM Props & Backdrops studio backdrops:
- Gives a matte finish and a nice clean block of colour with many options to choose from.
- Is rolled out for a seamless look, but will get easily damaged when walked on.
- Needs to be stored on a sturdy roller system for safe storage, as they are heavy and can get damaged if moved with each shoot.
- Due to the weight of the rolls and the ease of creasing paper it is not recommended for mobile/on location studios.
- Can get costly in the long run as the paper on the floor gets damaged easily. More needs to be rolled out each shoot
- Although the most popular colour for seamless paper is white, there are many options to choose from and this is great for variety and for new studios that want to try out different colours and tones.
- This is a matte material, the most popular option being white.
- It is easy to clean and far more durable than paper.
- Because of its durability, it is sold in sheets that are designed to be reused. It is therefore generally lighter in weight than the paper rolls and perfect for a mobile studios and will survive being packed up and stored after each shoot.
- As it is lighter weight than a new paper roll it does not need to be stored or hung on such a solid roller system. It can be clamped to a backdrop stand or taped to a wall.
- It can be printed with block colour or a design such as wood or concrete. As the ink can have a satin look to it, lighter colours work best. If you have a dark vinyl backdrop, you will need to have enough room to stand your subject enough distance away to light the background and the subject separately.
- It can be cut to the size you need for your particular space.
We have two options for large backdrops. They are both made of a type of vinyl called PVC. One has a micro woven texture and is black on the reverse. (Large Plain Textured PVC Backdrop). The other is smooth, white on both sides, thicker and less pliable so hangs and lies flatter than the textured option (Large Plain Smooth PVC Backdrop).
Both types can be printed on, lighter colours/tones recommended to maintain the matte appearance. Large Printed Lightweight Textured PVC Backdrop. Large Printed Mediumweight Smooth PVC Backdrop.
VINYL BACKDROPS: A PRACTICAL SOLUTION FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
Matte vinyl backdrops are an excellent choice for photographers looking for a cost-effective and practical solution to their studio needs. These backdrops are built to last, and can be used in a range of different places, making them an ideal option for photographers with a lot on their plate.
Why Photographers Choose Matte Vinyl Backdrops
- Available in a variety of colours and sizes
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Durable and long lasting
Benefits of Matte Vinyl Backdrops
- Provides a non-reflective finish
- Minimizes glare and shadows
- Versatile and easy to customise
- Lightweight and easy to store
Tips When Using Matte Vinyl Backdrops
ARE THESE PRINTED ABROAD?
HOW LONG WILL MY ORDER TAKE TO ARRIVE?
If your items are in stock they will be posted the following day.
If your items need to be printed they will usually be posted in 5-10 days. You will be alerted to this with a message that appears on the product page when you click the size you require.
You will receive a tracking number via email once your order is packaged and ready to go.
Please be aware that couriers can take longer than the advertised 2-3 days.
WHY DO I NEED REAL PHOTOS AS BACKDROPS?
DO I NEED ANY OTHER EQUIPMENT TO TAKE GREAT PHOTOS?
• Use a diffuser when you want to soften the hard lines that direct sunlight creates. If you don't own one, a muslin cloth or shower curtain taped up to a window works well.
• Use white foam core board as a reflector to bring extra light into deep shadows. Just place it opposite your main light source and angle it towards your product.
• An additional foam core board is useful to create a fake wall at the back of your scene.
• You may also need sticky putty, masking tape and spring clamps to create your scene.
Essentially you can take great photos with a very basic setup. In terms of camera equipment, a phone camera can be all you need. You may find these tips on taking product photos with your camera phone useful.
WHERE CAN I SEE THESE BACKDROPS BEFORE I BUY?
WHAT SIZE BACKDROP DO I NEED?
Here is our backdrops size guide, helping you decide what size you may need.
• The standard size of 60 x 90cm or 2 x 3ft is the most commonly purchased. This is large enough for small products and food whether you want angled shots or flat lays and most scenes can be accommodated with this size. This size can be clamped or taped up at one end to give a seamless background to your shots, and is small enough to be easily rolled, transported and stored. Our 6-way phone stand fits over the top perfectly.
• When it comes to backdrops, bigger is better. 80 x 120cm is an ideal size for food and product shoots, giving you more creative and compositional freedom.
• Businesses that video or photograph top down shots of cookery tend to purchase larger sizes, 100 x 150cm or 120 x 120cm, to allow a bit more space to spread out during the process.
• 1.5 x 2.5m is a great size for single person 3/4 portraits or headshots. It is also a great size for newborn shoots, either front on or overhead shots.
* For cake smash photo shoots, wither two 1.5 x 2.5m, one for the floor and one for the wall would be great, or one continuous backdrop 2.5 x 5m.
* Full length portraits will require 1.5 x 3.2m at least to allow people to move around and longer if you need more of a sweep on the floor and the wider width of 2.5 x 3.2m if you are photographed couples or small groups.
• Businesses that photograph larger item have purchased even bigger sizes, to suit their needs.
ARE CUSTOM SIZES/DESIGNS AVAILABLE?
Custom designs are the perfect solution to boost your brand identity. We can print plain colours of your choice, your own images, or we can customise one of the designs that we already have.
Your business has its own specific culture and style, so let this shine with a custom made vinyl backdrop.
Please get in touch about your requirements or order custom backdrops directly from this website and we will contact you the same day to discuss.